Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thought of the day

Does the depth of a person's grief indicate anything?  When I read John 11, I read about the death of Lazarus.  Jesus is met by Mary who is crying, and all around Jesus are crying, mourning Lazarus.  Then John tells us that Jesus was "deeply moved in the spirit and troubled." (NASB).  Then, one of the most notable verses in the New Testament - "Jesus wept."  It is obvious that Jesus mourns, just like you and me.  He felt that searing pain deep in his spirit.  But what does this mean about how much Jesus loved this man?  Read on (this is the part I normally miss)...  The observation of the people around and what John felt was so very important is this:  “See how He loved him!”

Why does this speak to me so much?  Well, my brother died two years ago, and I preached his funeral.  (one of the hardest things I've ever done).  I felt the mourning and loss, but my brother and I had lost a regular daily relationship many years ago.  Certainly we loved each other.  It is a given with all my brothers.  We may not see each other, but it is unspoken.  That said, because I barely saw him, I believe I was able to recover more quickly.  In addition, my brother had been in a coma for 10 months prior to his passing.

However, when my son died last year, well, needless to say, I'm still feeling the effects.  My son was finally in a place where he could be successful and things seemed to be good.  His death stung so much more deeply and lasts so much longer.

My brother's death was preceded by 10 months of struggle for life so maybe some of my grief was dealt with there.  My son's death was preceded by only one week of brutal swings of emotion as he struggled for life.

Perhaps, the lesson here is not to compare grief.  Each is so different.  My reaction was different for two different people passing.  It doesn't really matter, does it?

In the end, the love is certainly deep for both, but the relationship, the daily walk with another deepens love, admiration, and care.   Jesus cared deeply for Lazarus and even though he knew he would raise him, wept.  Wept so deeply that it was notable by John and others.

My Jesus knows my pain.  He knows mourning.  I'm glad when I pray that Jesus is my intermediary since he knows my what is on my heart.

Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted.  Matthew 5:4

No comments:

Post a Comment